Sunday, December 2, 2018

My Modified Bloom...


The only thing better than the versatility of the Bloom from Tina Givens is the fact that the pattern is currently free. She is, at heart, a basic T-shaped dress and yet has the potential to be so much more.

This version is the result of my need to not waste fabric and interject more fun into my wardrobe. I have made it twice and have another in the works.



To make your own you will need the Bloom pattern and instructions,  your usual sewing supplies, yummy fabric, elastic, and a sense of adventure. (54 inch fabric makes for easier long sleeves.)

Please read this post in its' entirety before beginning.

1. Determine the length you want your top to be and cut it out using the bottom of the pattern as a guide to cut the bottom edge of your top. For reference,  I am 5'8" and my top was cut at 30". Elongate the sleeves by continuing the lines to the end of your fabric . If necessary you can add more fabric onto them.

You should now have this:

Clicking on the pics will show a larger one.

2.  Sew the shoulder, side, and sleeve seams. Finish your neckline. I always stay stitch my neckline before finishing to lessen the chances of my stretching it. Then because my fabric unraveled gloriously I simply ran a small zigzag stitch 1/4" from the edge. 


3. Now the magic happens! We will be using the leftover fabric (marked x") to assemble our frill/flounce/ruffle/bottom edge.

Measure the shorter edge and using half of that number cut the fabric in half lengthwise.

 You will have 4 sets of this:


Sew the eight pieces together in any order you wish to make one long uneven strip. Be sure the keep the straight edge across the top.





Run a zigzag stitch along the edge of the sides and bottom of the strip. Gather, ruffle, or pleat. 


5. Attach your strip to the bottom of your top. I sewed mine with wrong sides together so I could take advantage of the wonderful fray that the fabric gave me.


6. Sew casings for elastic in sleeves and cut your elastic with plenty of room for your arm. Thread elastic through and secure.

7. Snip all loose threads.

8. Put her on.

9. Find a mirror.

10. Admire your cleverness.

11. Smile!

Please post pics and a review of this tutorial on our Facebook page and be sure to share it with any sewing groups you are in.

Looking for a wonderful sewing group?  Here ya go! Tell them I sent you. ;)

As always... have fun,

 Phyllis aka Queen Sheet


P.S. I received permission from TG (via Christine her customer service rep) to post this using her Bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment